Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nickel City to close out the tri season.

Nickel City turned out to be a pretty cool race. The course was extremely flat and fast. Out of all my races this year, I did learn the most about myself in Buffalo Saturday morning. Looking forward to the race, I was expecting a spectacle of a race due to the fuss made about it. I expected large numbers of participants and a super fast field to race against.
When I showed up Saturday morning, I was shocked to see a tiny transition zone and few people racing the AG Olympic race. There were so few elites registered for the sprint that the race was cancelled and many of them jumped into our race. My run had been clicking the past few weeks so I was looking for a PR however I knew some of these guys would be moving on the run.
My second shock of the day came during the swim. I had been swimming well all year and couldn't believe how fast people were taking out the 1500m swim. I was getting dropped by the first buoy. I chalked it up to people getting too excited and thought they would come back to me on the second lap as long as I stayed long and conserved some energy for a fast finish. It was only later that I realized the caliber of the swimmers that had smoked me in the water, including a 200m fly Olympic trials qualifier.
I got out on the bike and decided it was time to track some people down. I could see on the out and backs that I was putting time on most of the guys ahead of me besides the two leaders. This was the first time, probably ever, that my swim was not my strongest discipline of the day. There were only three guys who rode faster as compared to the seven guys that swam faster. Either way, I was in a good position and off and running.
I quickly moved into 4th overall during the first two miles dropping a 6:00 mile followed by a 6:20. It was at this point that things started going sour. I had the worst cramping in my life for all of mile three. No matter how much I tried to slow the pace and keep contact with Jeff Henderson, I couldn't catch my breath and resorted to walking for 10 seconds to get a few deep breaths in. Almost exactly a mile later, I was feeling much better but I was unable to make 6:20 pace feel comfortable again. I ran the rest trying to stay as far under 7 minute miles as I could. Ended up cruising it in for my fastest 10k in years and 3 minutes off of my best inside of an Olympic tri.
The real experience came later in the day. I drove directly to Geneseo from the race, not even getting a chance to stick around for awards. I swam in the alumni meet and far exceeded my expectations, dropping a 1:55.2 to win the 200 free and 58.2 in the 100 fly. This is setting me up perfectly to head into a long winter of swimming with a fresh mind about getting back in the pool.
After the meet is where I had my biggest realization. I had the time of my life seeing old friends and running around the town recklessly. I had spent the summer training diligently and forgot how much fun I have when I make sure I have time for the people who support me most in my life. People I hadn't had contact with in months had been keeping tabs on my racing and made me feel great for sticking to my plan and taking major steps toward my goals. Most of all, they welcomed me back to the good life after months of neglect while I was focusing my energy elsewhere.
I am heading into this off season knowing that it is time to bring the efforts down. All Saturday morning I was racing fast but the freshness I had been racing with all summer was gone. It took too much mental preparation to get up for the race and I need to change direction for a little bit so I can come back next season ready to make some serious moves. I am treating myself to lazy couch days, days without training and no regretful feelings about it, awesome muddy trail runs, and riding only to enjoy the changing of the leaves and good company. I cannot wait to spend some late nights with good friends and pack on a few pounds from good food and indulgences.
Thanks, triathlon, for being so great to me this season and a bigger thank you to the friends and family who have made it possible. I'm ready to off-season like it's never been done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment