Thursday, March 14, 2013

2013 Race Schedule

The past few seasons, I have participated in upwards of 10 races each year, some years as high as 14. The races were events I wanted to try, have previously done and liked, or courses I have had unfinished business with. This season, I have a much more focused training approach with better periodization than I have practiced in the past. My races and my training plan are synced so that I typically race at the end of each 4 week block, at the end of a recovery week. Choosing races this way has it's benefits and it's downfalls. I like the fact that I get a chance to culminate each block with a staple event. Ideally, this allows me to take inventory of the gains I have made throughout the block and throughout the training plan in general. I am not exactly thrilled about the fact that I race with quite a bit of garbage accumulated in my legs. I noticed a considerable slowdown in my Shamrock run of 2013 compared to 2012, however I also realize that I was far less rested, the weather was completely different, and my performance at that race is not a major priority in my season plan. I try to look through the negative aspects and see the ultimate goal, racing FAST in Musselman and Ironman Mont-Tremblant. Everything else leading up to that is nothing more than a stepping stone along the path.

I have between eight and ten major events on the schedule this year. Six of them are set in stone, and four of them are ideas I am trying to make a reality.

Mr. Ed's Superbowl 5K: Race (18:46/4th OA/2nd AG) Results
I have never raced Mr. Ed's before and didn't have time to scout the course so it was interesting racing it blind. I thought it might be almost entirely flat, being  near the canal so I went out fast. I didn't expect to find a monster hill halfway through the course, so I was in the hurt locker after  for the remainder of the race. I was pleased with the effort i put forth, but after base 1, the speed most certainly was not there.
This was my last race in the 20-24 AG, time to race with the big boys!

Shamrock Run 8K: Race (31:15/65th OA/11 AG) Results
I raced Shamrock last year and the course was cut short due to a power line falling the morning of the race. I projected my 2012 finish time to be around 29:15 so my performance this year was far below my expectations. It was extremely cold and I ended up with a cold. Whether or not the cold was setting in before the race or not will never be known but I know I didn't prepare for this race correctly. I also got caught up in the commotion and went out far too fast, putting myself in oxygen debt for the final two miles. The poor performance was due mostly to an incorrect approach and pacing strategy. I suppose early season racing, if good for nothing else, is a chance to get those mistakes out of the way.

3/30: Some sort of 10K. Race
I got a few guys together and we ran an informal 10k along the time trial course at the Northtown brick site. It was a great course and I plan to test there again. Knowing other people were laying down a solid effort helped. The race itself was almost a PR which I'll take as my PR was set last year after a lot of speedwork. This year I have not even started speedwork yet. There is something to this QT2 system!

4/13: Dumbass Numbass:
An informal event run by nutcase members of the Buffalo Triathlon Club, we will attempt 10 laps of Grand Island. This event should total around 210 miles of cycling, in team TT formation.Sub 10-hours, here we come!

5/17-5/19: American Triple T - Ohio: Race
Racing as partners with Charlie "Whiteout" Watts-son.

5/26: Buffalo Marathon: Race
Pacing a 4-hour group. Let me know if you want to join.

6/23: Rev 3 Williamsburg - Intermediate: Race
Racing the intermediate distance and checking out North Carolina.

7/14: Musselman Half-Iron: Race
Returning to Musselman to take a shot at the 4:30 mark. I last raced here in 2009.

8/18: Ironman Mont-Tremblant: Race
This will be the big show!

Fall Marathon?
I will race only if I believe I have a shot at a Boston qualification. It's a maybe!

Thanks for following and I will check in to update results as they occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment